[78-L] Sparton and Quality

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Feb 11 11:12:38 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "agp" <agp2176 at verizon.net>
> Not knowing a lot about Sparton, I have some questions. Were they
> similar the UK's Pye in that they also made consumer electronics?

In fact, "Sparton" started out as the Canadian branch of a major radio
manufacturer! It was originally a radio brand of the SPARks-WithingTON
Company; the US firm didn't survive the depression. The Canadian
operation won the right to press Columbia records in Canada c.1940;
Columbia then switched to Quality as their Canadian manufacturer...but
Sparton continued as an "indie" label.

I have NO idea how the arrangements were made between minor US
labels and Canadian record companies to have the hits of the former
pressed on/by the latter...DL?

Steven C. Barr