[78-L] Sparton and Quality

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 11 10:24:48 PST 2010

Based on the recent discussion that involved Dickie Goodman and the
Flying Saucer records I acquired a copy Flying Saucer the 2nd as
released on 78 by Sparton in Canada (as opposed to the Luniverse
pressing). Nice thing is that it came with a Sparton sleeve. The
sleeve has the legend 'HEAR .. SEE.. SPARTON T.V.'

Not knowing a lot about Sparton, I have some questions. Were they
similar the UK's Pye in that they also made consumer electronics?

Also -- apart from ABC Paramount, did they have fixed agreements with
US companies for release in Canada, or did the US indies shop their
releases to Apex, Quality, and Sparton, and who ever gave the best
deal got the release.

A side note -- I picked up a 78 on Quality of Petite Fleur by Chris
Barbers Jazz Band and was surprised to see that it said 'by
arrangement with Laurtie Records, USA. While it was a release on
Laurie in the states in 58 (not on 78), and on Pye (on 78!) in the UK
in 59, I am surprised at the label credit. Did Pye not have a
Canadian deal of its own at that time for artists such as Petula Clark?