[78-L] Did vocals help sell records? [was Can Anyone Identifythis Singer]

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Feb 10 22:01:56 PST 2010

Taylor Bowie wrote:
> My understanding is that even in the era of really big record sales (early
> 20s,  pre radio's effect) the major money was from sheet music sales.  So
> the publishers wanted to make sure that people could get the words on
> records as well as the tune.

Even poor people in tenements had a piano and the kids took lessons.
The Gershwin story was very typical, and parallels my mother's story in
Brooklyn.   And player piano rolls, of course, many of which were word
rolls for family and party sing-alongs.
> SB is again correct that there are way fewer vocal choruses on acoustic
> dance records.  Was that due to technical issues or just different taste?
>
> Taylor

Also note that a lot of dance records were 12-inch and were medleys in
the immediate post-war years.  They didn't have to be changed as often.
There were fewer vocalists in bands playing at dances.  Many times there
were vocals sung during the time-out breaks after a long stretch of
continual dancing.  This was discussed during an illustrated talk about
dance styles that was presented a few years ago at the Great American
Brass Band Festival symposium.  But technologically, in those days
before amplification, a singer didn't stand a chance over the din of a
hundred couples dancing to a loud band.  Many dances evolved from march
tempo of marching bands, and many bands at dances were these marching
bands.   Tastes started to change during the flapper era of the
Charleston in the 20s, and then the vocal records became something that
could be danced to.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com