[78-L] Did vocals help sell records? [was Can Anyone Identifythis Singer]

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Wed Feb 10 21:41:21 PST 2010

My understanding is that even in the era of really big record sales (early
20s,  pre radio's effect) the major money was from sheet music sales.  So
the publishers wanted to make sure that people could get the words on
records as well as the tune.

SB is again correct that there are way fewer vocal choruses on acoustic
dance records.  Was that due to technical issues or just different taste?

Taylor