[78-L] Cany Anyone Identify this Singer

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 10 15:16:50 PST 2010

Jeff Sultanof wrote:
> You know, when I win the lottery (if), this would be a great research
> project to do. One would have to listen to hundreds of records to create a
> good sampling that would mean something, which means finding the records,
> trying to find any sort of sales figures (pretty hard at this point), etc.
> And as you point out, there are several considerations to take into account
> with regard to acoustic vs. electric. One would think that such singers as
> Fields and Kaufman would have to have changed their styles 'shouting' into a
> horn vs. performing into a microphone. I don't have the records to compare.
> At least we have examples such as the Edison DD vs. the electrical
> recordings in some cases, and the Edison museum is not far from me.

Doesn't it seem as if voice quality changed, not so much as electric
recording and the microphones used improved, as when the role of the
singer became more dominant? For instance, Paul Specht used Johnny
Morris, who was no crooner. Is it possible that in those days, all they
needed do was to choose someone from the band who could find the notes
to the the short single verse in a vocal number.? I know there were
singing stars and sensations back then but...

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.