[78-L] recording date Mattia Battistini?

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 10 10:52:49 PST 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 19:40 +0100, Björn Jakobsson wrote:
> Found two 12" Enrico Caruso records today as well - and they had yellow labels, so I guess that was his colour? Or is that another mystery?

They had a whole system of label colors, based on the stature of the
artist and how many were on the record. A yellow label usually was used
for duets; is Caruso by himself on those two, or does he sing with
someone else?

Howard Friedman has a very complex guide to label colours, matrix
numbers (with trailing letters indicating the recording engineer)
online. The page for label colors is
http://www.musicweb-international.com/Friedman/page17.htm .