[78-L] Charles Lindbergh's reception

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Feb 8 17:35:18 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> There are precise details of this recording in my PhD dissertation.  The
> original was recorded off air on matrices CVE 38273 thru 38295.  Six of
> these were issued as the Washington Monument and National Press Club
> speeches on 12-inch 35xxx discs.  The ten-inch discs were dubbed off of
> test pressings of the full set.  Side one was complicated because there
> were four segments.  The second side only had two segments and was
> easier to do.  Two takes of side one were attempted on Sat  June 18,
> 1927 on BVE 38955 with take one initially marked M but that is crossed
> out and now marked D.  Take two was marked D.  The session was on Monday
> June 20.   Four more takes of 38955 were made, with takes three and four
> marked D, five marked M, and six marked M(1).  Side two was given matrix
> number BVE  39413, with take one marked HC, take two marked M, and take
> three marked M(1).  D means destroy, M is master, and HC is hold
> conditionally.  You will note that take five of side one is M and take
> three of side two is M(1), and I do not know the significance of the
> difference.  My copy of Rust's VMB2 seems to be buried, so I don't know
> why the leap of numbers over the weekend.  A full set of metals and/or
> vinyl pressings exist, and I have a tape of the full set of unreleased
> masters.

38955 would seem to have been mastered at Victor's Camden facilityl
matrix numbers there ran through 38999, 39000 through (probably)
39099 were all assigned to the Chicago facility; 39100-39330 are all
NYC numbers...39331-399 mostly Camed, and 39400 was assigned
to Camden in June, 1927.

Victor did NOT use matrix numbers in strict numeric order; blocks of
numbers were assigned to different studios...and in a few cases blocks
were discovered to have never been assigned, and were as a result
assigned WELL "after the fact!"

Partial data can be found in the Matrix folder of the "abrams files"...!

Steven C. Barr