[78-L] 15, 000 opera 78s for $12K: 2 competing dealers - Frederick Md vs LHol dridge

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Feb 6 18:15:08 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Shapiro" <steveshapiro1 at juno.com>
> As for the opera collector with Alzheimers, a friend in New Jersey says
> that for many 78 collectors, they don't need most of the records that are
> in their collections, they just need to believe that they have the records
> to be satisfied since most of the records are rarely if ever played./steve

All too true: However, this doesn't make a lot of difference in my own
case...since the
whole purpose of my "half-vast shellac archive" is to ensure that at least
ONE copy
of EVERY 78rpm phonorecord (regardless of its "quality"...?!) will remain in
existence for as long as their shellac-compound construction can
survive...?!

I own (AFAIK) around 57,000 78rpm phonorecords. Assuming an average duration
of 3 minutes/side...and two sides/record (I have a few exceptions to
that...?! I would
need 8,550 hours...or 356-1/4 40-hour days...to listen to both sides of all
of
my 78's...! Seeing as how as I'm now 68-1/3 years old, it is open to
question (and
chance) whether I might live long enough to audition all my 78's...?!

Right now, I'm going to ask a friend to help me by soldering the connections
which
will allow me to feed the output signal of my finally-found "record player"
with its
ceramic cartridge (1 volt output) into the "Line In" jack of my sound card.
Whenever
I assemble this...if it works in practice as well as theory...I will be able
not only to
play my 78's...I'll also be able to save their content as digital sound
files!

Meanwhile, I'm ALWAYS ready to buy large accumulations of 78's...if only on
the odd chance that they might include records which I don't already
own...?!

Steven C. Barr