[78-L] Phil Harris on OKeh and Harmony

david.diehl at hensteeth.com david.diehl at hensteeth.com
Fri Feb 5 21:56:57 PST 2010

Columbia's A&R staff was pretty brain-dead, especially when it came to exploiting their immense catalog of older recordings. In June of 1949 Oberstein announced a deal that the CBS regulars thought was laughable, to market 49-cent records through racks and discount department stores using only old material and then-current talent that Columbia hadn't manage to exploit. Within a few months Obie had a bona fide hit with Pearl Bailey's version of the Huckle Buck and Mannie Sacks had an omlette facial. By December the whole deal had disintegrated. Oberstein only had distribution rights, never any ownership of the trademark.

Visit the Blue Pages: the Encyclopedic Guide to 78 RPM Party Records
http://www.hensteeth.com