[78-L] Books and Prices

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Feb 5 09:31:58 PST 2010

Geoffrey Wheeler wrote:
> Recently on the List, I mentioned the Benny Goodman Carnegie Hall Jazz
> Concert book by Jon Hancock. The price from Fred Cohen’s Jazz Record
> Center in New York City is $39.95. The price from Amazon.com starts at
> just under $200 and goes up to $500.
Last week when I went there to get a copy of your Guide to Bootlegs and
Reissues on 78 (a GREAT and VALUABLE resource, by the way) I checked on
the website the night before to see what else I would want to look for.
I spotted the BG book and as I did with everything else I thought I
would get, I did a check with Amazon.  YIKES!  It's that rare
already???????  So, after I had easily found your thick book on the
shelves but didn't see the relatively thin BG book among the other BG
books, it was with trembling hands I showed Fred the print-out from his
site about the BG book and asked him if he had a copy.  "Sure," he said,
and plucked it out of a different section of shelves.  And then I even
spotted a poster for the book!  What the heck is going on????  It has a
2008 copyright but Benny's daughter's forward is dated Feb 2009, and I
remember hearing about it first last Spring.  It is not a numbered
limited edition like YOUR books are.  Why is it so high priced on Amazon?

And by the way, now that Morty Savada is gone, and his records are
buried in a warehouse in downtown Syracuse, The Jazz Record Center is
THE place for a visitor to NYC to see.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com