[78-L] Phil Harris on OKeh and Harmony

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Feb 4 19:23:31 PST 2010

Both are reissues..it was originally on Vocalion, same number, where it was
titled "The Groove Song". "Nobody" was Vocalion 3430. Phil was selling records
on Victor in the late 40s and was a big star on the Jack Benny Program (and on
his own show) so reissuing older material just made sense for anyone who had
it. The Harmony label was a short-lived budget label c. 1948-49, pressed by
Columbia but actually marketed by Eli Oberstein.

Ingle's "Nowhere" was a parody of Phil's song (which he stole from Andy Razaf)
and of "Out of Nowhere" which was enjoying a resurgence in 1947. The LA prefix
is Brunswick's Los Angeles designation in the 30s.

dl