[78-L] UNIQUE BIX BEIDERBECKE 1927 OKEH METAL MOTHER!

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 4 04:27:12 PST 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-04 at 02:02 -0700, Michael Biel wrote:
> If it is relatively
> thin it could have been trimmed, or it could be that this is earlier
> than OKeh switching over to info on the outside after the takeover.

That's always possible, but the circled W next to the catalog number
leads me to believe that it would have been cut on WE equipment, which
to me would signify standard ARC processing. Too bad nobody thought to
document any of this back in the day. (Then again, we'll never see a
Sooy acoustic recording head, either.)

I guess what I'm wondering in the back of my mind is whether this is a
production mother from the era, or whether it's a later mother from the
stash of whichever CBS Records executive it was who had a bunch of stuff
made for himself in the 1960s, all of which was trimmed and thus not
more than one could be removed from its sleeve at the same time.

Michael Shoshani