[78-L] UNIQUE BIX BEIDERBECKE 1927 OKEH METAL MOTHER!

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Feb 4 01:02:02 PST 2010

From: Michael Shoshani <mshoshani at sbcglobal.net>
> I don't understand this. Would not an OKeh production mother from 1927
be *oversize*, with all the recording details in the outer periphery
area?  Or would that have only been Columbia, with other ARC labels not
being
processed that way?  MS

No, I've seen the mid-30s Dick Powell and Alice Faye mothers from
mid-30s ARC Brunswick and they were heavy copper with the info on the
outside rim, so it was beyond just Columbia at least at that point.
Mark could probably give us more info on how thin or thick this one is,
and whether it is all nickel or nickel on copper.  If it is relatively
thin it could have been trimmed, or it could be that this is earlier
than OKeh switching over to info on the outside after the takeover.

Mike Biel mbiel at mbiel.com