[78-L] Lee Wiley/Liberty Music Shop

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Jan 29 20:07:33 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> Interesting.  I'd like to see that scan and so would my daughter who is
> a big Kitty Carlisle fan.  She even bought an autographed photo of her
> the Met Opera Shop was selling a few years ago.  Anybody know if the
> record was part of an album, and if it has ever been reissued.  And how
> many times have you ever run across a record this early copyrighted by
> the performer?!!!  Is it the label or the recording or the songs being
> copyrighted.  We should look this up in the copyright files.  For those
> who have never seen the Lee Wiley records, they are all 10-inchers.

Depends...! A song, of course, can be copyrighted ny its publisher
(Quite logical, since it is promulgated in the form of a piece of "sheet
music...!")  OTOH, a musical entity can also be copyrighted by its
creator (NOT in the US of A until 1972...!)!?

As it currently stands, ALL sound recordings "fixed" prior to that
1972 date are effectively copyrighted (that is still subject to 19??
"anti-piracy" laws covering sound recordings and copies
thereunto...?!).

Therefore. the songs Ms. Wiley recorded  were/are all copyrighted!
However, the recordings wind up in the vague "limbo" which the US
has managed to create; that is, they cannot be legally reissued until
January 1, 2067 (subject to further change...?!); OTOH. they are NOT
copyrighted...! A law obviously created by lawyers...who will happily\
(for $150/hour) help you figure this mess out!

Steven C. Barr