[78-L] Lee Wiley/Liberty Music Shop

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 28 19:57:30 PST 2010

Michael Biel wrote:
> From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>
>> By the way, I was copying "Rabson's" straight from Rust and other listings.
>> I've become so used to seeing it that way for years I forgot that the proper
>> name of the label was Music Box (and I have the discs as well..the labels are
>> oversized, which was unusual for US Decca but not for Canadian Decca..wonder
>> if they were pressed here?).  dl
>
> Wouldn't make any sense to have them pressed all the way in Canada.  I
> also thought it was interesting that the matrix numbers were halfway in
> the label area on every side.

This was the case with many Canadian Decca pressings..the matrix number often
disappears under the label (always the part you want to read, which is the take
letter) and sometimes the catch groove is covered by the label as well. I've
seen "stamped in Canada" on Decca red label 23000s and 29000s, discs with
normal size US labels, and I've never been able to determine whether these were
pressed for Canadian sale or if Decca occasionally used Compo to press
over-runs or because they always turned out a quieter product. Next step in
logic suggests that the Rabson's might have been pressed here as well, although
there's nothing to indicate this in the land or on the labels. Compo used
oversize labels into 1946.