[78-L] Lee Wiley/Liberty Music Shop

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Thu Jan 28 19:35:04 PST 2010

Rust-6 gives another version, even more confusing:
First session on "Gala / Rabson" 1, 2, 3.
2nd session on "Gala / Music Box / Rabson" 1, 2, 4.
Actually the latter suggests that Gala is the orig., and Musix Box & Rabson are different labels.

The Willie Howard and Belle Baker's albums have GALA in Olde English style, but also in
script style (Gala not in capitals).
Dwight Fiske also exists on script Gala (# 187); pres. late issues.
I also have a script Gala by Nan Blakstone "Manufactured in Canada".

A Dwight Fiske (Two Horses) is on Gala 099 (12"). Did they number back from 100 ?

Han Enderman
===
>>> By the way, I was copying "Rabson's" straight from Rust and other listings.
I've become so used to seeing it that way for years I forgot that the proper
name of the label was Music Box
<<<

The Lee Wiley Gala labels have GALA in block letters, like many of the
hard-edged Dwight Fiske discs. Willie Howard and Belle Baker's albums have GALA
in Olde English style. Both Willie and Belle's albums have marquee artwork on
the cover and both are conducted by Harley Dainger (whoever he be). Belle's
album, btw, credits a guest appearance by the world's greatest trombonist, Muni
Zudekoff (= Buddy Morrow).
Willie's album is Gala #1, discs 1000/2. Belle's album is #3, discs 1006/8.
I don't know what album #2 is and for that matter, I've never found the Belle Baker album complete.
Belle's matrices are 103/108, Willie's matrices are 115/120 and were cut at two
different studios! #119 is clearly Reeves while the others look as if they were
cut at Schmuyle's Record-Your-Voice booth on Coney Island (or by Timely) and
the matrix numbers are machine-cut  with each "1" facing the wrong way, but the
numbers are not reversed. Willie's album says "Novelty Record Company" on the
labels. Belle's..no such credit. Rust says "c. 1940" for Belle and doesn't list
Willie at all. The liner notes to Willie's album refer to him as "now the star
of the Broadway hit, 1942 Priorities". The Belle Baker album has no notes.

And now I see David Diehl with a review of the Willie Howard album and
"Favorite Mfg Co"! I think Gala got their stuff cut and pressed wherever they
could.
<<<