[78-L] Lee Wiley/Liberty Music Shop

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Thu Jan 28 13:15:01 PST 2010

I have a label image of Music Box 5-A by Kitty Carlisle, singing 4 songs. Orch cond. by Jesse Smith.
It has a very different label. Along upper rim, like a label name, is DANCE-SING RECORD.
Below center hole: "Music Box / release by / Rabsons' / 111 West 52nd ST / New York City".
At lower rim:
Copyright 1940 by Kitty Carlisle - Trade Mark Pending.
Reported as 12".

Han Enderman
===

>> And Rabson is incorrect; label name is Music Box, released by Rabsons' Music Shop.

I've seen the records and have photographed them.  Yes the label name on
the Rodgers and Hart is Music Box, and the store which commissioned
them, and whose name IS on the label, is "Rabson's Music Shop, 111 West
52nd St. New York City".  It is easy to miss the label name Music Box at
the top of the label when the store name and address takes up most of
the lower half!

> I'm pretty sure the Gala issue is later. Both sets appear to be Decca-type pressings.

This seems to be the only issue that Rabson made on Music Box.  There is
no indication as to what distribution they had to other stores beyond
their own store, likewise Liberty Music Shop and Gramophone Shop
Varieties.  We know that Commodore was widely distributed.  Geoffrey
Wheeler can probably provide the answer.  The reason I bring this all up
is because the Gala issue might be a replacement for national distribution.
<<<