[78-L] Columbia classics [FWD]

martha MLK402 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 28 00:03:35 PST 2010

 Thanks to bad management and stock manipulation (or "fraud", if you will)
Columbia was just a shadow of its pre-1920 self.  Consider that they'd
offered themselves to Edison, back around 1910, and that Easton had thrown
himself off his commuter train in his shame over later poor performance.
It's no wonder that post-1922 Victors outnumber Columbias at least 10 to 1
in old collections, and that people like Paul Whiteman discovered too late
that Columbia sales were abysmal.

 So, to finally make a point:  Columbia concentrated on making cheap
dime-store labels after 1925, and barely had any money for fancy orchestral
recordings - especially when they could draw from European masters.