[78-L] Columbia US classical

samhopper at mail.com samhopper at mail.com
Wed Jan 27 22:46:15 PST 2010

I still stand by what I said earlier - there are countless recordings made by columbia on 78 that are very well recorded.

Here are a few more examples and some food for thought...

Set M-136 - Time Magazine, 1930: "An excellent recording"
Set M-314 - “...Technically and artistically these are records of which Columbia may well be proud, an album set that will honor any collection...” Gramophone Supplement
Set M-319 - “...luscious, richly recorded version...” Gramophone Supplement 1938
Set M-330 - “...matchless recording...” Gramophone Supplement 1938
Set M-338 -  “…vitality and fullness of the sound...”
Set M-336 - “…remarkably full-sounding recording...”
Set M-372 - “...Crystal clear recording and beautifully clean playing make this set one of the most rewarding in the Columbia catalogue...” Gramophone Supplement 1944
Set M-400 - “...The recording is beyond reproach...” Gramophone Supplement 1944
Set M-429 - “...The recording is breathtaking in its clarity and realism, and the performance is without equal...” Gramophone Supplement 1945
Set M-448 - “…Very good reproduction of the instrumental sound...”
Set M-467 - “...Though there are deficiencies in the performance of this quartet, notably a too-sensuous tone, the recording is remarkable for its clarity and balance...” Gramophone Supplement 1945
Set M-496 - To the best of our recollection there has been no recording in recent years where two such fine artists play this sonata at the top of their form, nor do we believe there has been a recording in recent years which shows such technical excellence. We can assure the reader that this will be one of the most popular albums in his library.” April Records; April 1942
Set M-500 - “...extraordinarily brilliant job of recording… one of the major gamophonic achievements of a major Beethoven work...” Gramophone Supplement 1945
Set M-551 - “…The recording is resonant and clear, with an excellent balance being maintained between the piano and cello. The recording of a modern composition cannot be praised too highly...”
Set M-562 - “...The recording is bright and open, and the singers voices emerge with clarity and realism...” Gramophone Supplement 1945
Set M-657 - “… Zigeunerweisen is vibrantly and brilliantly recorded...”
Set M-326 - “...The recording is beyond reproach. In fact, it is one of the best piano recordings in the entire Columbia catalogue...”

And the list goes on... and on... and on. I got tired writing!
Rock on Columbia!

SAM