[78-L] Columbia classics

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 27 20:09:51 PST 2010

Yeah, Victor had a very distinctive "sound" around 1946. The odd thing is that
they made players that compensated for it. I heard a 1946 vintage table model
player and "Managua, Nicaragua" was played on it, and the damn thing sounded great.

Nothing's as horrible as Victor's first post-ban Red Seals, like the Boston
Pops "Salute to Our Fighting Forces" and the "Oklahoma" album, all full of wow
and distortion and more wow. I think they were going through 3 stages of dubs
for a while (Ted Hering confirms as much in his discographical notes to Jack
Myrtle's Spike Jones Bio-Discography).

dl