[78-L] Columbia classics

samhopper at mail.com samhopper at mail.com
Wed Jan 27 17:29:20 PST 2010

I totally disagree with your comments re: Columbia orchestra recordings.

After writing 250 pages of my pet project - the Columbia Masterworks 78 rpm discography and having listened to hundreds of Col. recordings - I can say that there are countless excellent electrical recordings released by Columbia of US orchestras!

One example comes to mind:
SYMPHONY NO. 5, Op. 47 (Shostakovich)
Artur Rodzinski conducting Cleveland Orchestra
Set M-520
Recorded: February 22, 1942

A review of the recording stated:
"Comparison of this recording with that of the same work by the Philadelphia Orchestra under Stokowski [RCA Victor - Set M 619] is entirely to the advantage of the Clevelanders and Rodzinski. There is little to choose between the sounds produced by the instrumentalists themselves. But the Rodzinski reading reveals whole areas of meaning that Stokowski passed over in what seems to have been a desire to thrill through surface brilliance. Its tempos are just throughout, whereas the Stokowski reading (requiring two more twelve-inch record sides) erred in dragging the beautiful third movement to the edge of bathos.

Columbia’s engineers have given superbly transparent recording worthy of the performance, recording that astonishes by the verisimilitude with which it reproduces such “difficult” instruments as celesta and tympani. Here is what may well turn out to be Shostakovich’s major composition in performance and recording of the very first rank...”
[From] Gramophone Record Supplement; October, 1942; Page 8

And this is what the respected reviewer, David Hall had to say about Columbia recordings in the late 40's

‘The sound of Columbia’s domestic orchestral recording today is of notable clarity and brilliance, if not as sheerly overwhelming in dynamic range and richness as the best English product. The recordings of the New York Philharmonic-Symphony Orchestra under Stokowski, Bruno Walter and others have been highly satisfying on the whole. The same is true of the recent Philadelphia Robin Hood Dell Orchestra discs. Records by the Philadelphia Orchestra have tended to be either of extraordinary brilliance and power.’ Records: 1950; David Hall; Alfred A. Knoff; New York; 1950; Page 31

By the way, you can see the progress of my discography here:
http://masterworks.gramophile.com/

SAM