[78-L] Bessie Smith Album

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 09:23:12 PST 2010

Based on what I'd read in Tyrone's listings, some of the sides were recorded
prior to when Columbia records sported those deep, coarse-pitch runout
grooves.  And some of the sides were pre-electric; IIRC a couple of them
dated to 14 January 1925.  And all of the originals ended in a concentric
groove, not the eccentric groove by then in use by all known US labels, so
it's likely the dubbings were made so as to give all the sides these more
modern features.