[78-L] Bessie Smith Album

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Jan 26 08:47:54 PST 2010

We had a discussion about the size issue a few months ago and I meant to
bring it up to you had discussed this in your book Jazz By Mail.  In the
20s some Columbia records WERE 9 7/8-inches depending on the presses
used.  I also measured the outer groove diameter on a bunch of Columbia
and other 78s that were in my daughter's apartment at the time (so it is
not an exhaustive study) and I noted that the majority of these random
Columbia records of the 20s did not have grooving diameters that
exceeded those of labels that were always 9 7/8-inch pressings.  Some
Columbias were even smaller.  A few did have grooving areas that were
too large, but most were small enough to easily fit into 9 7/8-inch
pressings with the proper lead-in area and a lead-in groove added.
While I don't doubt that this is what the young George Avakian was told
at the time, and I don't doubt what he told you, the determination for
the situation with this specific set would be to check original
pressings of these specific sides that were used in this set and measure
the groove areas of the original pressings.   I bet most of them would
fit, and I bet you might even find some original pressings that are 9
7/8.  ARC might have wanted to maintain consistency and not have a
mixture of dubs and original masters, so if even one of the masters was
too large--or missing--they might have decided to dub them all.  For all
we know this diameter story might have been a cover-up for missing
masters.  The truth will come out only if we measure the originals --
not necessarily the diameter of the pressing, but the diameter of the
outer groove.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com