[78-L] Artie Shaw

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Tue Jan 26 07:07:16 PST 2010

I’m pleased to hear Red Norvo’s charts are safe. I had forgotten to add
in what you say about Horace Henderson’s involvement with certain of
Fletcher’s arrangements. Horace was a stellar arranger. We can hear
this in the fine batch of recordings he made in 1933 for English
Parlophone (later reissued in Decca’s Gems of Jazz album  series; in
his own band recordings for Okeh, and on the very hard to find sides on
Jamboree supervised by Harry Lim). In addition to supervising sessions
for Keynote and Jamboree, I believe (but have no proof) that Lim also
supervised jazz sessions for Seeco that featured Stan Getz and Wardell
Gray along with personnel that would also make four sides for Lim’s own
HL 78 imprint and serve as part of the famous Stan Getz Quintet that
recorded for Roost.
Geoffrey Wheeler.