[78-L] early acetate / direct disc recordings

marc van Bemmel marcvanbemmel at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 26 00:23:16 PST 2010

Hi,

Recently there was a posting by Mike Biel about early direct-to-disc recordings. I just wanted to mention that I have two ten inch German "Draloston" discs, which are metal discs with a kind of lacquer coating. They contain recordings of the Strub Quartett, and are clearly dated 26 August 1932. After some googling I found that these discs were introduced in 1932 and required a "baking" in an oven after they were recorded. It seems that home recording was possible for the larger public from about 1932, using the Dralowid or Grawor system.

Marc van Bemmel