[78-L] Autographs (classical)

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Mon Jan 25 23:13:43 PST 2010

I recently received a couple of boxes, (2 dozen), of autographed large framed photos of such celebrities as Mischa Elman, Leonid Kogan, Sir Thomas Beecham, Nathan Milstein, Pierre Monteux, Charles Munch and lots more.  These were all photographed by a violinist in the Toronto Symphony and I received them from his widow.  He was an excellent photographer and did his own developing so he would take a picture when the artist first arrived in town for the performance, develop it the same day and take the finished photo back to have it autographed.  I don't know if they have any monetary value but I don't have any interest in selling them.

I also have a copy of the 78 album "A Victor Borge Program" autographed by V. B. and a copy of both recordings of "Hear My Prayer", (I think everybody on this list probably knows the story of how this had to be recorded twice in 1927, March and November), signed by Ernest Lough.  I know these autographs are authentic because they were signed in my presence.

I hope you'll forgive my brief moment of attempted gloating but heaven knows I've drooled often enough over the items you folks have as revealed on the list.

db