[78-L] Autographs

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Mon Jan 25 14:48:30 PST 2010

Jeff,  I'm not sure about those particular checks,  but plenty of George
Gershwin's own cancelled checks have been on the market for some years,
many having been obtained from Ira and from Ira's estate.  But I don't
recall ever seeing any checks of this early vintage and endorsed by Gershwin
or the others...so maybe they are safe somewhere.

Jack London's widow,  Charmian,  was the all-time expert at selling old
checks of a celebrity.  For many years after Jack's death she peddled his
old checks to rare booksellers and collectors.  There are still so many of
them kicking around that you can pick one up for not a lot of money.

And,  she was one of the first and most successful to pull a very irritating
scam:  She had a ton of bookplates printed up which say "From the library of
Jack London" with an illustration of a wolf's head.  Her original plan was
to make sure that all his books which had been in the house when he died
were so marked.    But there seems little question that she ended up
slapping them into books which Jack London had never even seen,  much less
owned.

Always be careful when someone tries to assign a big value to something just
on the basis of their say-so that it once belonged to someone.  You need
some sort of provenance,  and best of all,  some writing or signature of the
person on the object itself.

Sorry to drift off topic here....but I hate to see people get scammed by
scams!

Taylor