[78-L] Total Recall: Artie Shaw

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 14:08:32 PST 2010

Now that he's gone, some writer should really take on a biography of Shaw's
life. He was a very interesting character who altered the course of American
music in many wonderful ways. His 1941-2 orchestra was responsible for some
important music that Mr. Schuller would call 'third stream' (although I
confess I hate that term) that really did meld concert music and pop/jazz.
He was certainly one of the great clarinetists ever (in some ways he was
better than Goodman), and let's not forget his personal life.

I may discuss this with Terry Teachout, the first person I can think of who
would really do an excellent job.

Jeff Sultanof