[78-L] Knoxville Gal

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 25 13:10:58 PST 2010

> Label and catalog number, please.

> Don
That would be Vocalion 5121.

No, it was Riley Puckett who recorded it first (in 1924), but it was
never issued.  The earliest issued recording under this title seems
to be Arthur Tanner's, recorded mid-1925 for Paramount.

The McFarland & Gardner was recorded in Dec. 1926. I'll look at my
copy tonight if no one else offers first.

I'm not sure about the earliest recorded version of the *ballad* in a
broader sense, which goes by many different titles...

Peter Fraissinet

Thanks Peter, for the info. My interest in this record is to play it on my Valentine's Day radio program, which this year comes long before V-Day. However I find it interesting that this ancient murder ballad has become something of a hip cover song -- Nick Cave, Elvis Costello and The Lemonheads have all done it. Their model has been the record made by the Louvin Brothers in 1956.

Uncle Dave Lewis
uncledavelewis at hotmail.com