[78-L] Knoxville Gal

Peter Fraissinet pf13 at cornell.edu
Mon Jan 25 12:43:21 PST 2010

No, it was Riley Puckett who recorded it first (in 1924), but it was
never issued.  The earliest issued recording under this title seems
to be Arthur Tanner's, recorded mid-1925 for Paramount.

The McFarland & Gardner was recorded in Dec. 1926. I'll look at my
copy tonight if no one else offers first.

I'm not sure about the earliest recorded version of the *ballad* in a
broader sense, which goes by many different titles...

Peter Fraissinet
West Danby NY