[78-L] Gennett Records

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Mon Jan 25 11:22:30 PST 2010

I can empathize with Al Simmons: It’s frustrating to misplace a tape
you know you have. That particular one has made the collector rounds on
five continents and god knows what generation it’s in now. I hear two
original copies were made. One went to Jean Goldkette’s housekeeper,
Madeline; the second was buried as part of the foundation of the new
Greystone Bus Building in 1933. Greystone buses were the first in the
nation to be completely audioized, with personal headsets for every
passenger. As for Buddy Bolden, the best evidence of what he may have
sounded like is the recording by Jack Purvis on American Odeon,
“Copyin’ Buddy.” My belief is that Bolden did not record himself
playing trumpet but reciting the Lord’s Prayer. I also believe this
inspired Jelly Roll Morton to write the tune “I Thought I heard Buddy
Bolden Say.” The fact Jelly Roll used “I thought” is indicative that he
was hard of hearing.
Geoffrey Wheeler