[78-L] Advent of Electrical Recording: Bubble Books

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Mon Jan 25 11:09:54 PST 2010

Very interesting, Mike. I am quickly learning from the 78-List that
members can be very helpful in providing information and links for
research projects! I got my Bubble Book from the late Jack Areson, who
lived in Montclair, N.J. Jack collected records, some 20,000 military
figures and canon, pre-War trains and track-side structures, and
Nazi-era paraphernalia. Every piece of furniture in the house was
vintage, if not necessarily antique. In addition to having about 35,000
78s and an equal number of LPs in his basement, he also had a
free-standing garage in which he kept non-collectible records and shelf
upon shelf of books. There was barely space to walk. When “shopping”
for records in his basement, I would bring a flashlight so I can
actually see what I was doing. Jack once told me his
record-accumulating ambition was to have “one of everything.”
Geoffrey Wheeler