[78-L] Olde-timmers

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Jan 25 10:44:36 PST 2010

When I returned from Moscow I had to pay $100 for an extra bag, but I
figured it only added 25 cents or so to each of the several hundred LPs,
CDs, and 78s I was returning with -- most of which had cost only a few
kopecks or roubles.  But one day in Budapest, Leah and I went apes**t at
my favorite record store and bought at least 150 LPs for only a few
forints each.  We had hoped that the store -- an old established music
store with over a century of history -- could arrange shipping.  But
instead we had to figure out how to get them halfway across Budapest.
We hoped Peter Fulop might be in his shop or that his workers might be
able to help, but surprisingly nobody there that morning spoke English.
So we had to fabricate two crude boxes and mail them back.  Only cost
$40 for both boxes, and they arrived in Kentucky safe and quickly.  But
the same stuff would have cost hundreds of dollars to ship from Germany
which seems to have the most expensive postage in the world.  But I
don't really have the energy or stamina for such excursions any more.
We're hoping the dollar will get stronger again.  I probably will sooner
than it will.

Since I know a lot of you deal with Peter at Mikrokosmos in Canada, let
me mention that almost ever record in his Budapest shop was North
American or British!  He sends all his European records back to Canada
to sell to us, and send all his American finds to Hungary!  And I bet
that most of them got to their destinations in his luggage!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com