[78-L] Olde-timmers

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Mon Jan 25 10:17:40 PST 2010

Ken Matheson wrote:

>I don’t know how “Olde-timers” evolved from stupid entertainers politics,
>to Baker, to airline carryon of 78s, but it is for the better. The last
>time I went to Japan, in 08 a person could carry on 2 items. A computer and
>one other item. 30 or a few more 78s could be carried on this way. If you
>could get by with 20 or so 78s in a computer case. That would make 50. If
>you had 5 pounds of clothing, you could get 100 or so in your luggage. For
>an extra 50 dollars you could bring an extra 50 pounds. A friend brought
>back some wooden bowl blanks on a domestic flight. He paid in advance over
>the internet, and it cost him only 25 dollars for the extra 50 pounds. I
>don’t know if international flights will allow you to get the online
>discount, or a person can bring multiple 50 pound packages extra. But That’s
>still 250 records more or less. A person should research this to see just
>what it will cost and how to go about it first. There may be even better
> ways. Steven Barr has a good idea.

Well,  I'd say "good idea" might be a little bit of an overstatement...but
it is an idea.  That said,  I'll continue to buy records from overseas and
let them get to me on their own,  without any thought of flying over to
wherever to fetch them.  No one seems to have taken into account the other
expenses of traveling,  not to mention the time involved.  If cost is the
issue(as it seems,  as always to be,  with Mr. Barr) there is no way that
anyone is going to "save" much money by flying around and picking up small
collections of 78s in far-flung places.

Taylor