[78-L] Advent of Electrical Recording: Bubble Books

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Jan 25 10:15:36 PST 2010

Right.  This was one of the first thing that people mentioned when we
were discussing pre-Steinweiss in December, and it had already been on
my list.  There was some discussion as to whether these were records
with books or books with records!  But I am going to show the parallel
example of the first edition of RCA Victor's Pinocchio which had
illustrated pockets and came out the same month as Steinweiss's first
cover.  Since that set is records with a book, that is how I will
consider the BBs to be.  Back in the 70s I had come across the complete
copyright deposit set of BBs at LC and made a thick set of B&W
photocopies which included the copyright deposit dates, but I also
recently came across this web site you mention which has color shots of
each of them including the rare electrical versions and British
versions, so I'll use these color shots instead.  I do have about 3 or 4
of them and will have at least one on display while I give the
presentation.  There are a few other examples of illustrated little kids
albums that are discussed in Peter Muldavin's book and I have a couple
of examples.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com