[78-L] Gennett Records

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Mon Jan 25 07:41:21 PST 2010

Some years ago when I was rummaging around in my basement, I came
across a shipping carton of Gennett records I had totally forgotten
about. I opened the carton and took out the stock. It was all Gennett
5275: King Oliver’s Creole Jazz Band doing “Zulus Ball” and “Working
Man’s Blues.” I counted 24 records. Since record companies typically
shipped 25 to a carton, I was obviously missing one. I called upstairs
to my wife, asking if she knew anything about the missing record, but
she said “No.” I’m embarrassed to say I don’t know what happened to
that copy. I’m thinking about putting the whole lot on E-basy. I
suspect Gennett may have thought this record was gong to be a smash
hit. I have a test pressing for a sequel called “Zulus Other Ball.”
Geoffrey Wheeler