[78-L] Depression recordings, (was Cleveland)

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Sun Jan 24 20:43:19 PST 2010

I am not certain, but I think that Columbia and HMV issued alot of new solo classical works during the depression but not much large orchestral works.

I am classing the depression in Britain as 1930 to 1938 with a little economic recovery before mid to late 1939 when the economy became unstable again when WWII broke out.

Matthew.

Others on this list will have all of the discographical data but I think England and Europe were going full speed ahead with orchestral recordings in the early 30s.  Hamilton Harty, Henry Wood, Beecham, Fritz Busch and Weingartner, (just to grab a few out of my head),  were prolific in these years.

Recording orchestras in England may not have been near as expensive as it was in America.  I know that a local Canadian cellist went to England in the '80s to do her concerto recordings because even with all of the travel expenses it was still much cheaper than recording in Toronto.

db