[78-L] Advent of Electrical Recording

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Jan 24 19:55:01 PST 2010

Radio Recorders make perfect sense since they are the studio which
recorded all of CBS Hollywood's linechecks.  Considering the confusing
matter of the CBS takeover of Columbia in Dec 38, the introduction of
16-inch safety lacquers in 1939 at the same time as the possible use of
World starting in 1939 also makes sense -- I've just never heard about
this possibility before.  Seth might know, and I will probably see him
tomorrow.  I do not remember anybody mentioning vertical on the
safeties, but then again, I had not heard that mentioned about Decca
either before the discussion a couple of weeks ago.  As for the payment
of royalties to Western Electric, since as I mentioned World exclusively
used Western Electric equipment, it might not have made any difference
if they used their own WE setups or World's.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com