[78-L] Olde-timers

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Jan 23 19:34:50 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> David Lennick wrote:
>>> You can actually make it through Can Can? I couldn't!
> Well, it isn't an easy dance to do, even when we were younger.
>>> Or anything else with Shirley MacLaine, for that matter.
> Oh! You mean the MOVIE!  That's different.  Neither could Krushchev, for
> that matter.
>>> Seriously, I was raised on early Chevalier records and it was
>>> pathetic to see him slog through Gigi and Can Can (playing
>>> the same part).  Take him out and shoot him, I say.
> C'mon, weren't you waiting for him to shag one of the leetle girls
> prancing thru the park with that dirty old man LEERING at them?  Then
> you could have Roman Polanskied him.
> Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. wrote:
>> One of the very few French performers who did well in the States.
>> Piaf, Reinhart, Trenet, even Baker all flopped here.
> Marcel Marceau?  Aznavour?  French Fries?  French Vanilla?  Champagne?
>> Probably shouldn't have. Says more for our tastes than for their talents.
> I LIKE French Fries!
> Mike (who really did ask for ketchup in Paris) Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com
> (and who really did get a scolding from the waiter!)

Keep in mind that us Canadians are OFFICIALLY bilingual (English and
French...!) As well, my long-since-ex missus used to thouroughly confuse
North American wait staff by requesting mayonnaise with her french fries...!

As far as I am concerned, french-fried potatoes need only a bit of salt
(NaCl) to be palatable...my claim is "if God wanted catsup on french
fries, he (she?!) would have put the tomatoes on the potato plants?!"

Steven C. Barr