[78-L] Copyright Criminals on PBS

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Fri Jan 22 13:41:43 PST 2010

Sampling cannot be compared to copying someone's style. It is lifting the EXACT NOTES from a performance, which leaves no room for interpretation, individual expression or anything other than maybe manipulating the speed the original notes were played at, distorting, creating loops, etc. Sampling has nothing to do with style. It is theft. Pure and simple.

Just because someone invented the Xerox machine doesn't give people the right to steal other people's work because technology says "they can." "Copyright" means just that: the right to copy. When someone owns a copyright, they own the rights to copying that work. Nobody can legally do it without permission or a license. The title of the PBS special says it all - it doesn't say "Copyright Creativity" - it says "Copyright Criminals" and that's what these people are who do this.

Cary Ginell