[78-L] Copyright Criminals on PBS

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Fri Jan 22 08:42:09 PST 2010

Let's not start talking like old farts, gents. I was recently at the NAMM trade show where my company has a large booth. There is a vibrant musical scene out there of which rap and hip-hop is only part of. A lot of it I can't stomach, but a large part of one floor at the convention had nothing but percussion and drum gear. There were exhibitions going on in many of the booths that showed me how widespread the talent is in the music industry today. A lot of it is hard rock, acid, punk, and metal, none of which I enjoy, but there are jazz drummers, reggae percussionists, straight-ahead rock drummers, many of them highly talented and passionate about their art. Another entire section is on microphones, studio set-ups, filtering, EQ, new turntables, recording techniques, computer programming, Garage Band demonstrations (I use Garage Band, a Mac application myself in a part-time job I do). So it's not as if there isn't any talent out there. It's there. It's always been there. And by sampling previously recorded tracks, these producers are robbing youngsters the opportunity to create their own music. Back in "the day," you'd scour the musician's union directories when you were short a musician. Now, all these thieves have to do is go to a swap meet, buy an LP, and steal what's in the grooves. It's insidious, it's disgusting, and it is technically illegal. I think that these hip-hop producers are doing a lot more harm than good with their unethical practices that they rationalize as "doing our thang."

Cary Ginell