[78-L] Copyright Criminals on PBS

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Fri Jan 22 08:34:27 PST 2010

Not necessarily, Graham. What amazed me about the show was how articulate and passionate these people appeared to be. They didn't seem to fit the stereotype of the rap artist performers like The Notorious B.I.G. and Snoop Dogg and all those other miscreants. This wasn't about drugs or gun-running. I think you've been watching too many Quentin Tarantino movies. These producers were well-spoken, intelligent, and actually believed they had a right to do this stuff. It made me feel very out-of-place and antiquated that I would prefer listening to a record all the way through by an artist who actually created it. This is a whole different universe where the history of recorded sound is considered to be their own private library to do what they wish with. The documentary showed very little indignation at this brazen assumption.

Cary Ginell