[78-L] Louis Armstrong

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Jan 22 08:08:56 PST 2010

The only problem I have with "What a Wonderful World" is that it's become
overexposed. I thought it was a great record in 1969 and it worked beautifully
at the end of "Hitchhiker's Guide". And there's nothing wrong with having a hit
record. How many hit records did Bing Crosby have after 1954? That aren't
"White Christmas", I mean? Only "True Love", with Grace Kelly (speaking of
performers who couldn't carry a tune in a bucket). (Yes, Wonderful World didn't
even chart in 1969, but it was popular enough that we had instrumental versions
of it from a few sources at the time.)

dl