[78-L] Louis Armstrong RANT, WARNING

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 04:29:29 PST 2010

Well, Dr. Biel, I'm all for sentiment myself. So it's not for that reason. I
just think the song is maudlin. I have no issue with other sentimental
things Armstrong recorded. Armstrong, by the way, was hardly hurting for
work at that point, as ill as he was.

I stand corrected on your citation of the "Hitchhikers Guide."

Evidence? Names? Places? The Paterson and Ridgewood NJ school districts to
cite two examples. With all due respect, sir, before I post on this list, I
check what I post, or I know these things. I saw and heard two teachers in
two districts do just that. Students I've inherited have requested the song
and have asked me why I don't play it like 'Miss Hayes did.' I am not the
only who feels that music education needs some overhauling. I also teach
about 78s, which at this point hardly any child has ever seen.

Jeff Sultanof