[78-L] Louis Armstrong RANT, WARNING

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Jan 21 21:50:50 PST 2010

Jeff Sultanof wrote:
>>> I can think of at least one performance that really upsets me.
>>> "What a Wonderful World" is an embarrassment

Why?  Because it gave him work when the doctors warned him that if he
played his horn he would die?  Because it was sentimental rather than
rude?  Because he was showing the emotions that us old codgers have over
what life is?

>>> that stayed buried until "Good Morning, Vietnam" dug it out of mothballs.

Wrong.  It was the climax of "Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" when we
learned the meaning of life was 42 and the world was re-created.

>>> Music teachers have actually used this recording to teach
>>> the subject of Armstrong; many of them never heard of the
>>> Hot Five.

Evidence???  Names??  Places??  I'm sure that it probably has happened
because as an ex-professor I know that teachers all too often don't know
diddlysquat because their teachers also didn't know diddlysquat because
Education is the degree all too many college kids take when they don't
have the smarts for real subjects.  (Us college profs don't take
Education courses, so we supposedly know our subject content but not how
to teach.  K-12 teachers know how to teach but not what to teach because
all they took were Ed courses.)

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>> And what the hell is all this outrage about Louis sullying
>> himself by performing something other than jazz? Jee-zus!
>> Did you get in a rage because Jimmy Durante sang "Young at Heart"
>> without making reference to his pal Umbriago?

No, I loved seeing him do this on the Hywd Palace program, and I loved
those WB albums.  I'm a sucker for sentiment.

>> I don't know when I've read a bigger load of crap than
>> this thread.  dl

Well, how about this?

> No matter what you think of these singers, they're the flavor
> of the month, but the legacy of both Bing and Satch continue.
> And I bet Rudy Vallee is spinning in his grave with fury,
> wondering why we're not mentioning him.  Cary Ginell

Song stylist?  How about Fred Astaire?

Mike (did I add to the crap load?) Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com