[78-L] Upcoming shows on PBS for Pledge Drives in March^

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Thu Jan 21 21:10:07 PST 2010

Not at all. Broadway is one of the few topics we DON'T discuss on 78-L. I know Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty and they are flummoxed by "Ragtime's" demise, but they are grateful of the success of "Seussical." There are other great shows that bombed on Broadway that are doing well regionally and locally. One that I saw recently was Stephen Schwartz's "Children of Eden." Fabulous show, whether you're a believer, a non-believer, or agnostic. In November, I got to see three shows: "Ragtime," "Finian's Rainbow" (both great) and "Memphis" (an abomination). "Memphis" was written by the piano player with Bon Jovi and to him, R&B in the '50s was basically warmed over Motown and ersatz '60s soul. No Ray Charles, no Excello, no Chess. The performances were great, but the guy who played the lead - supposedly based on white Memphis DJ Dewey Phillips - played it like George W. Bush.

So that brings us back on topic.

Cary Ginell