[78-L] Louis Armstrong RANT, WARNING

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 21 19:16:54 PST 2010

Jeff Sultanof wrote:
> I can think of at least one performance that really upsets me. "What a
> Wonderful World" is an embarrassment that stayed buried until "Good Morning,
> Vietnam" dug it out of mothballs. Music teachers have actually used this
> recording to teach the subject of Armstrong; many of them never heard of the
> Hot Five.

Hardly buried..we were playing it on the radio in 1969. I still have the
original 45 on ABC. And what the hell is all this outrage about Louis sullying
himself by performing something other than jazz? Jee-zus! Did you get in a rage
because Jimmy Durante sang "Young at Heart" without making reference to his pal
Umbriago? I don't know when I've read a bigger load of crap than this thread.