[78-L] Upcoming shows on PBS for Pledge Drives in March^

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Thu Jan 21 19:08:01 PST 2010

Thanks, Steve. Some really interesting stuff. I wish, however, that they had programmed the concert version of the Broadway show "A Tale of Two Cities" for KCET, the L.A. outlet. Did anyone see it? The author, Jill Santoriello, is a friend of mine and I produced the piano/vocal songbook of the show. The show opened on Broadway in the fall of 2008 and got savaged by the critics as being a "Les Miserables" pretender. Nothing of the kind. The only problems with the show that I saw were that it was too intelligent and was about two decades too late. As a semi-frequent visitor to Broadway for my job, I've discovered that the New York theater scene is now catering to casual tourists rather than aficionados. I refer to it as the "Shrekification" of Broadway. People want a thrill ride; they don't want to think. This is why a superlative production of "Ragtime" closed last week after less than 100 performances.

But I digress.

Cary Ginell