[78-L] Bixing from Revised American Dance Band Discography

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Wed Jan 20 12:09:52 PST 2010

I think you misinterpreted the article. Read it again. Shaw was merely pointing out all of the "bixings" regarding Bix's life and career - the same old tired myths about Bix that have been perpetuated over the years. Note that in italics, he does debunk some of these, but maybe he didn't do as good a job as he could in showing what he was actually trying to say. Shaw has read "Bix; Man and Legend" as well as the new Bix book (highly recommended by the way) by Jean Pierre Lion. By comparing the Bixings with the tripe that came out of Ken Burns' "Jazz" docudrama (I refuse to call it a documentary), Shaw is merely pointing out that legends are often made of misstatements, assumptions, rumors, and honest-to-God lies.

Cary Ginell