[78-L] Revised American Dance Band Discography

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Wed Jan 20 10:10:25 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Julian Vein" <julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk>
To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 12:20 PM
Subject: Re: [78-L] Revised American Dance Band Discography

> Han Enderman wrote:
>> I am amazed there is no description of the work at all; only the price
>> Does "on record and film" mean that broadcasts issued on LP/CD are
>> absent?
>> Is the last volume "indexes" only (which much better and with much more
>> info could have been issued on a CD, or even made available free on the
>> website)? Note that a digital index has no space limitations and can give
>> us every tune title with recording date and band name, or the session
>> dates by every sideman in chronological order.
>> Also a release index (every record listed in the work, like in
>> Hendersonia) would be highly useful and an important source for label
>> studies.
>> I assume everything will resemble JazzRecords-6, but do we get a useful
>> lay-out now?
>> Are LP/CD-only studio takes included?
>> How much duplication with Jazz Records? Are California Ramblers small
>> groups included?
>> Why not sample pages?
>>
>> Han Enderman
> ===========
> Why not contact the email address for answers to your questions and
> suggestions?
>
> As far as I'm aware, there won't be release details. Broadcasts issued
> on LP/CD will be included. LP/CD studio takes will be included. The
> small Kirkeby groups won't be included. The duplication with Jazz
> Records is irrelevant.
>
> The layout will be the standard JR/ADBD format, including artists' name
> headers. It won't resemble JR6, which didn't have headers.
>
> If I have a criticism of "Hendersonia", it's the minuscule print and the
> interspersing of discography with narrative. It's quite a pain to find
> anything. In most discographies if, say, I want to look up an artist's
> recordings from 1934, I quickly flick through the pages until I find the
> relevant year. With "Hendersonia", the chances are that you'll open the
> book at narrative, and have to flick back and forth to find the
> discography.
>
> I find it strange that there has been so much hostility to this new
> work, which hasn't been shown towards other print-only discographies.
>
>      Julian Vein

Right. The absence of headers in JR6 made it useless to me.A total waste of
my money...and then... its' title index materialized in a separate booklet.?
P.U!       Finding anything only gave me a headache fromm eye strain.
How do I know that this new $625 beaut won't have other dire faults?
And when is a new and improved CD version coming out for $1500.
How often do I have to be disappointed at great financial cost to myself
before I learn my lesson?
I'll keep my $500 until I know more and maybe even then I'll be satisfied
with what I have.
A lesson we should learn in this land of ours.

Al Simmons
Nerts!